Most companies add a second product line when they want to grow. This week’s guest decided to build a second brand instead.
Ashley Merrill founded women’s sleepwear line Lunya in 2014 because she was tired of wearing her husband’s clothes around the house. Five years later, she decided to expand into menswear, but just adding a men’s line didn’t sit right with her.
Tune in to find out why Ashley decided to start a second brand, how she grew her company from a startup to an established business, and lessons she’s learned about building a team.
- 5:16 How an ambition to solve a problem resulted in launching Lunya
- 8:00 How business has evolved since its unconventional 2014 launch
- 10:42 Why having major funding in the beginning isn’t always best, and the spending that eventually moved the needle for Lunya
- 13:05 The value of identifying your brand muse.
- 15:28 One company value that’s contributed to Lunya’s success
- 16:30 Hiring lessons learned growing from a start-up into an established business
- 21:00 How Lahgo started and why Ashley built a second brand, rather than simply adding the men’s line to Lunya
- 25:44 The biggest trap entrepreneurs can get stuck in
- 28:48 The High 5 Test and the lessons Ashley learned from getting her MBA
- 33:20 How non-traditional methods of getting in front of people help the brand
- 39:36 Ashley’s key piece of advice for business owners
Links and Resources: